Long rides are for those who are ready to really test their legs and skills.
How far can your kids ride? My son rode 60km when he was nine, but that doubled his previous best distance and it took a while.
For longer distances, schedule plenty of breaks and energy snacks.
The average speed of kids riding 24inch bikes on long rides seems to be about 8-12km/hr. This does include 5 minute breaks, I try to stop about every 10km if not more, to keep energy and morale levels high.
Etiquette on cycleways
Etiquette on Cycleways is just common sense really, but here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Have a bell on your bike and use your bell to alert walkers and other riders
- Stay on your side of the path and give way to oncoming riders.
- In high traffic areas moderate your speed.
- Give walkers and slower riders plenty of space when overtaking.
For parents, we all know that kids have limited situational awareness, so we have to be their eyes for them. Its important for their safety and that of others that they understand basic rules of riding.
I tend to put the slowest rider first and cruise behind them to help them alert and avoid walkers.
Learning these skills when riding on cycleways means you can be trusted to ride safely when you have to do a section of road.